This morning I had the pleasure of sharing our "Coldest Night Warmest Hearts" team's success from last night, as we walked together to raise money for Pictou County Roots for Youth Society. As I shared the lead-up to this in my blog, felt appropriate I should share the results here, too! Proud to say we had over 100 donations, 26 people walked together in the event (including 4 youth), and we raised $3150.
Throughout the event and today, many people approached me to say "You did a great job!". *blush* Yes, I'm proud of this achievement, but there's more to it than that!
Hearing these words kept reminding me about a presentation I once attended as part of a Virtues Project Global Mentorship event years ago - a message that still plays in my mind frequently. At that time, after we had heard many stories of the project transforming people's lives in amazingly positive ways, a speaker encouraged us to continue to learn about and stay involved with the project, and also shared an important message with us that has stuck with me ever since: "It's Not About Me!" Oh, so true.
Also interesting this morning in church was that the sermon seemed to remind as well of this message. Our minister shared a talk he entitled "Finders Weepers Losers Keepers", and he expressed gratitude for a gift he had received (made by Zap Inspirations) that has a message I dearly love: "The meaning of life is to find your gift; The purpose is to give it away."
Hearing these words kept reminding me about a presentation I once attended as part of a Virtues Project Global Mentorship event years ago - a message that still plays in my mind frequently. At that time, after we had heard many stories of the project transforming people's lives in amazingly positive ways, a speaker encouraged us to continue to learn about and stay involved with the project, and also shared an important message with us that has stuck with me ever since: "It's Not About Me!" Oh, so true.
Also interesting this morning in church was that the sermon seemed to remind as well of this message. Our minister shared a talk he entitled "Finders Weepers Losers Keepers", and he expressed gratitude for a gift he had received (made by Zap Inspirations) that has a message I dearly love: "The meaning of life is to find your gift; The purpose is to give it away."
Still more coincidental! .. I'm reading a book now as well, entitled "It's Not About Us", by Todd Leader. I purchased this book after hearing Mr. Leader speak recently. I was quite inspired by his talk - as it gave me lots of thoughts about how I think the mental health and addiction systems that I've interacted with could be improved, so that other families do not face what we did.
Mr. Leader's key point, well expressed in his book, is that it's not about the staff running the systems either! Must say I agree with him wholeheartedly. The people working in the mental health and addiction systems in Canada, at least in my experience, generally have their hearts in the right place. The challenge they face is the systems they are working in. The systems need a re-design to be more effective!
Mr. Leader has lots of good ideas in his book, which I encourage you to read if interested. I think I have still more to add to those ideas. Therefore, I'm embarking on writing a book of my own. I already have 50,000 words written out, which I've read in at least one article is a good recommended length for a novel at least, but those words do not include my thoughts for improvement, and I also feel need great improvement for publishing purposes, so this will take me a while yet.
As I embark on this new part of my journey, I'm very interested in your thoughts as readers as well! What challenges have you faced related to the mental health and addiction systems in Canada? Do you have ideas regarding how things could be improved? I'd love to hear from you! Consider using the "Comment" option on this page please.
If you'd like to read some of my shorter thoughts as they arise, you are also invited to find my fan page in Facebook as well, to follow me and give me a "Like" on the page to follow my posts: https://www.facebook.com/Christine.Marie.MacKenzie/.
Thank you again to everyone who continues to support the work I'm involved with... Know though, "It's not about me!", but about making the systems better for those we ALL care about, and I hope you'll continue to join me in trying to achieve this goal!
Hope you experience an awe-full week ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment