Yesterday had been a lot of fun. Our oldest son at age 17 played basketball. Her hurt his leg again during first game, and several other teams backed out because of a snowstorm, but they played Kings Edgehill twice, won both games, and took home the winning banner for the Kings Edgehill Invitational tournament:
Our drive home was a bit messy, but not bad. I played some of my favourite music - Eric Clapton, Great Big Sea, Moxy Fruvous, and quietly sang a bit. The boys had in ear buds :-) Most scary was when shortly after dropping off one of the boys our Rogue reported that the tank was running on empty, while I was on a dirt road in what felt like the middle of nowhere, unsure of name of the road, and unsure how far next gas station was. For the next 5 minutes, I kept driving and praying. Came to end of that dirt road, where a quaint OLD gas station sat. I pumped the gas and it overflowed the tank - no sensor built in. I went to the counter and asked to pay, and she asked me how much I owe - nothing inside told her how much to charge. She sent another man out to look at the pump and then I paid and headed to the next boy's house. Ride home was uneventful after that, I say with gratitude.
As I keep waking at 2 or 3 am each day, I woke today with recognition I needed to make a change in how I was behaving. Knowing what's wrong is half the battle!
Posted on my Facebook wall:
Starting now, it's Sunday and I'm on tech timeout for 24 hours. If you need to talk, you are welcome to come visit my house and knock on my door - do it the old fashioned way. Clearly I'm addicted to technology and it's not healthy
Okay, it's not quite been 24 hours, but I had a great day and I feel like writing. When I get like this, I just keep thinking about what I want to write until I've written my thoughts, so I'm writing.
Had a wonderful day. After that post, I went back to sleep for a few hours and had a quiet morning with my husband. Made myself bacon and eggs for breakfast. True to my word, I walked to our church around the corner, avoiding the "tech" that comes with driving a car. I joined the church choir. Affirmed I am an alto, as I sat between two sopranos, but really enjoyed singing. I'll try a different position perhaps next week. Heard stories about Epiphany, and reflected that I have been having an epiphany myself in the past few days. I feel like a new person, or my old self if you prefer... My "pace of grace" seems to be restored.

As I left the church, I spoke to our minister. Normally, I just shake his hand and move on, sometimes I've been crying my eyes out, and sometimes I've written him messages to let him know what I thought of the service or to seek his advice. He is an excellent minister. Today though, I felt compelled to speak to him, to let him know I really enjoyed the service and all he's done for me. I feel like a better person today.
I walked back home. I'm guessing it was at least minus 15 Celcius - VERY cold and bitter feeling, yet somehow it felt good anyway.
As I approached our porch, I saw all the Christmas lights I had taken down on Wednesday evening, at 9 pm in the dark. I did that before a snow storm was forecasted, as I didn't want our blow up snowman to disappear and didn't want the lights buried. I started packing them up, while eating a quick lunch of peanut butter toast and green tea, and next thing I knew I had also packed up all the other Christmas stuff in the house, except the tree.
Our tree is filled with ornaments that hold pictures of my kids from baby to almost current age, as well as of myself, my husband, our nephews... ornaments made by friends and family... garland "corked" by our middle son. I couldn't bring myself to pack that up yet, so it's there for another week.

Set the dining room table with an actual tablecloth, which I do now each Sunday because it somehow makes me happy.
Picked up our daughter from her practice. She informed me that for the next two weeks she needs to stay in character, to prepare for the school musical. They are performing "Alice in Wonderland", so this will be an interesting two weeks. Not quite sure what the means, but looking forward to it. She seems happy.
We had family dinner with a very tender pork roast made by my loving husband, with mashed potatoes and green peas. Our middle son at age 15 advised us that he was not happy about it, but eventually ate his pork and green peas. Our daughter ate a peanut butter sandwich as usual... Still cannot get her to eat meat or veggies, at age 13 - Ugh!
We shared our day, and discussed what we want to do for the evening. Decided that I would watch "Silver Spoon" with our daughter, and others could join us if they wished. Boys had other interests. We watched two episodes - quite cute and heartwarming - I am starting to really like anime. My husband joined us. As I sat leaning next to him on the couch, I started to nod off, so I put myself to bed around 7:30 pm.
It's now 11 pm. I did not actually sleep, but laid in bed in the dark silence and I feel renewed.
Somewhere in the middle of my nap, our oldest son came to me and asked if he could put the keyboard back into his room. Our daugther hadn't been playing it lately, so I helped him move it. This folks is truly awesome. He hasn't played piano much this year - but he plays beautifully and my heart is now full.
With a song from this morning in my head, I decided I'd end the tech timeout, if only briefly, as I wanted to hear a song from church one more time before going to sleep. It played in my mind all day long.
I peaked into Facebook and saw one of my approximately 200 cousins had posted:
Let's fill Facebook with love
The Daughter Challenge is on!
If you have a daughter in your life who helps bring balance to your world. She is beautiful in every way. She has a heart of gold. She makes you laugh but drives you crazy. She fills your rainy days with sunshine. You pray for her success & you want her to achieve all her dreams. You're thankful for & truly adore your daughter.
This is resulting in pictures of daughters being posted - beautiful.
That triggered my desire to write.
I looked briefly and did not find the exact version of the song we sang this morning. Instead, this one of the same title - "I am the Light of the World" - popped up and it's so beautiful I feel compelled to close with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJP_Qcl9ME
I think this must be what people mean when they say they feel "reborn". I feel wonderful, at peace.
Hope you enjoyed your day, too! Goodnight moon.

No comments:
Post a Comment