Sunday, July 29, 2018

Courage in Silence

Watched a movie recently that I really enjoyed, that I seem to think of quite often since...  "The Music of Silence"- a biography about Andrea Bocelli. 

Mr. Bocelli's story apparently began with a great deal of crying.  His parents felt the crying was not "normal" and so at 5 months of age they sought doctor guidance.  It turned out Andrea's eyes did not function as most do.  As happens in many such situations, the family then experienced many challenges together, but ultimately there is also blessing as they grow together.  Anyone raising a child with a disability can perhaps feel some parallels in this.

I suppose I love this story most because it is centered around a childhood filled with music that leads to triumph over challenge.  It was interesting to me to learn that Andrea Bocelli had a wonderful singing teacher who, when starting out, advised him to not sing or even talk for a full week before they began their lessons, and often periodically beyond that.  This served to strengthen his wonderful voice.  The message was that the most beautiful music can be born from silence.  Oh, I sure hope so, I think, as one of sons is oh so silent most of the time - so much so that he cannot even enjoy the sound of music, as he says it hurts his ears.  One day, he will "make the most beautiful music", I am certain.

As I embark on a last week of vacation for this summer, I reflect on that idea of silence building strength.  After all, that is part of what vacation is meant for - to recharge - to build strength to go back to our work.  I have had a few weeks of vacation already this summer, and I am grateful to find that happening.  My mental state feels much better now than it did even a month ago. I find myself today humming "The Bare Necessities"... this always makes me smile and reflects my focus.

I've also been reading a book about philosophy recently, entitled "The Courage To Be", by Paul Tillich.  I've not really made it very far into the book yet - finding it a rather difficult read which I may or may not continue.  However, it seems to be describing how various philosophers have defined courage over time, which is a topic I find myself interested in, as courage is a virtue.

While reading this book earlier this week, I found myself reflecting that people like Andrea Bocelli demonstrate a great deal of courage.  Interesting then was when into my inbox popped a message from a Virtues Project Facilitator, providing a link to a video about Aristotle's views about what it means to be a virtuous person - the kind of person all of us should aspire to be and that other people want to be around:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvtOWEXDIQ&feature=youtu.be  Among other things, the short video includes explanation about the distinction between courage (what a virtuous person should strive for) and cowardice or recklessness (extremes we should avoid).

Now, as I've mentioned a number times in other posts, I've been focusing quite a lot recently on simplifying things in my world.  I am trying to spend more time doing things I used to enjoy, and less time worrying about the challenges people I love are facing since doing that really is not useful.  As I think anyone desires, I want to behave more like the many virtuous people I have the pleasure of knowing, so I'm trying to put my energy into that instead.  For me, I suppose part of this means sometimes having just "the courage to be"- to sit quietly just listening to the silence, which I find inevitably brings music to mind.  I have been blessed to know so many people who have brought music into my world and I am so very grateful for each and every one of those people!

I reflect also though, sadly, that all too often the music stops, and then I think.... we must have not only music in silence, but also courage in silence as well.  This past week was such a week.  After battling cancer for the past few years, many in our community are very sad as we reflect that our church organist has passed away.  I had prayed she would get better and that maybe even someday she would teach me to play my fiddle, as she played so beautifully.  She will be dearly missed, and now I pray all who knew her will find both courage and music in the silence.

Enjoy this "Beautiful Sunday" folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment